Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The sun sets on this weekend's adventure

Here is something really cool: Every single day, the sun sets, and every single day it rises. Each time this happens, it is a spectacular sight. What this means is that every day, no matter what, at least two beautiful things happen.

I drove south out of Portland as the sun began to creep its way toward the horizon. The interstate winds through the valley, rising and falling over hills. Sometimes I forget about the sheer size of mountains; I think the fact that the valley, which is technically framed by the Cascade Range and Coast Range, is rimmed therein by countless series of hills. That is how impressive the topography is here - our valleys have hills.

From atop one of those hills, just south of Salem, I could see the whole rest of the valley extend in front of me as the sky darkened. The ribbon of road was dotted with red taillights as far as I could see. It was unseasonably clear for the Northwest today.. Nonetheless, clouds framed the hills and horizon in the distance ahead. As the sun sank, pinks and oranges highlighted every wisp of cloud in the sky, forming a gauzy seam of pink atop the hills. This haze of pink and orange remained, ever so slowly fading into darkness as I continued to drive home.

1 comment: