Thursday, January 6, 2011

And my thoughts begin to wander eastward


Today the sun is shining brightly in Eugene. I just returned from a delightful jog along the river that I only wish would have lasted longer. The Willamette River, swollen by winter's rains, shone a dazzling blue under the cloudless sky. I jogged through Alton Baker Park near the football stadium as the path wound through a forested area, hugging the river. The last five days have been almost entirely rainless here, charmed by sun, our ears nipped the perfect amount by chilly air. These are winter days that evoke fond memories of Athens, and I start to wonder if it's time to go home.

I have in fact all but decided that it is time to go home. I feel at home here in Eugene, this is true. I also know that it was essential for me to be here over the past two months. Should I decide to stay for the remaining fifteen weeks of my mom's treatment, I know that I will find ways to be helpful. I can only hope that the things I have done here have been helpful to her. I know that it has been therapeutic for me. I have been enjoying my time here, and have been lucky to reconnect with many old friends. To be in such an old, familiar haunt is comforting in ways I will ponder once I am gone.

But I live in Ohio. I live in Athens. I lived there for two full years before I came out here in November, and I have been gone for two months now. These are not long periods of time, but neither are they negligible. I am comforted by the knowledge of the community that I have back in Athens, that still exists even though I am far away in this surreal version of my homeland. I am buoyed by warm memories, proud of what I have accomplished there, thrilled at the prospect of returning. When I think about the details of my apartment, the layout of the streets, the vibrant familiarity of friends, workplaces, local haunts, a smile appears on my face unbidden. I remember how easily I felt that Athens was home, a seeming instant after my arrival two autumns ago.

Oregon will always be here. I can come here whenever I want or need to. If I get back to Athens and the next week, something happens and my mother needs me, I can travel back here. It is 2,500 miles away - but it is really not that far.

As enthusiastically as I await my return to Athens, I am equally excited to get on the road again! Before I can breathe in the healing Ohio air and feel the rapture of the hills, I have more mega-adventuring to do! The road trip of all road trips is not yet complete.

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how much this post speaks to me - when we were there this summer for three weeks it was the hardest decision to leave, yet, Colorado is home. 2,500 miles is so much shorter than it used to be, but there are days when it is worlds away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that doing what makes YOU happiest is what will be the best for your mom. It sounds like you had an amazing couple of months - and more to come. Athens is sure to welcome you when the time is right. Cheers to adventures!

    ReplyDelete